Athletic competition is by nature taxing and challenging, but add in mud pits, rocky terrain, steep hills, costumes, fire and other wild obstacles, and thrill-seekers are faced with a whole new breed of racing. Considering that the courses involve things like running through creeks, swimming in swamp water and crawling through drainpipes, it’s no wonder the phenomenon of adventure racing has found a home here in the dirty, dirty South.
BIG NASTY MUD RUN
Date: Saturday, April 14
Location: Big Nasty ATV Park, Bloomingdale, Georgia
Get down and dirty by signing up for the 4-mile obstacle run affectionately known as the Big Nasty Mud Run. But beware—expect to climb walls, run uphill (carrying a tire) and fall into mud pits. The sports ministry for the Fellowship of Christian Athletes, FCA Endurance, is hosting the thrilling race in Bloomingdale, Georgia, where the event director, Steve White, has set a challenging course at a 1,600-acre ATV park. “The obstacles aren’t built to be easy. They are built to be challenging physically and mentally. That’s why they are good to do as a team, so you can encourage each other,” White says. “From the outside you look at it and think, ‘OK, a bunch of people going crazy, diving in mud, running through the obstacles, what is the big deal?’ But after you do one, you just get it. It allows you to be a kid again.” Search Big Nasty Mud Run on Facebook or Active.com
JCB MUD RUN
Date: Saturday, June 16
Location: JCB campus
At 8 a.m. runners will take off on a course that stretches just over four miles. With 10 obstacles guaranteed to get your heart pumping and your feet, hands and, most likely, face dirty, it’s sure to be a great event. It takes place on Father’s Day weekend, so it’s perfect for the whole family.
Written by Richelle Laughinghouse
View the full story on our latest issue!
- The Dynamic Duo
- People, Not Patients
- Genius In Their Field
- Half A Million Lights Over Five Acres
- Caring and Compassionate
- Nothin' Says "Christmas" Like A Hoedown!
- Unique and Knowledgeable
- She Walks The Walk
- 8 Local Gifts For Out Of State Friends
- It's Not The Jewish Christmas
- Passion for Medicine
- Healthier Lifestyles
- It's All In The Family
- Run, Run Rudolph!
- The Laziest Gift Guide for South’s Laziest Savannah Reader
- Dec 22 2014
- Sea Pines Christmas Stocking Deliveries
- Dec 23 2014
- Sea Pines Gregg Russell Christmas Concert
- Sea Pines Harbour Town Trolley
- Dec 24 2014
- Christmas Eve Dinner Entertainment Cruise
- Pacci's Christmas Eve "Feast of the 7 FIshes"
- Dec 26 2014
- Sea Pines Caroling Wagon Ride
- Dec 27 2014
- Sea Pines Holiday Fun in Harbour Town
- Dec 31 2014
- New Years Eve "Up The Cup"
- Tybee New Year's Eve Fireworks
- Sea Pines 14th Annual Polar Bear Swim