Athletic competition is by nature taxing and challenging, but add in mud pits, rocky terrain, steep hills, costumes, fire and other wild obstacles, and thrill-seekers are faced with a whole new breed of racing. Considering that the courses involve things like running through creeks, swimming in swamp water and crawling through drainpipes, it’s no wonder the phenomenon of adventure racing has found a home here in the dirty, dirty South.
BIG NASTY MUD RUN
Date: Saturday, April 14
Location: Big Nasty ATV Park, Bloomingdale, Georgia
Get down and dirty by signing up for the 4-mile obstacle run affectionately known as the Big Nasty Mud Run. But beware—expect to climb walls, run uphill (carrying a tire) and fall into mud pits. The sports ministry for the Fellowship of Christian Athletes, FCA Endurance, is hosting the thrilling race in Bloomingdale, Georgia, where the event director, Steve White, has set a challenging course at a 1,600-acre ATV park. “The obstacles aren’t built to be easy. They are built to be challenging physically and mentally. That’s why they are good to do as a team, so you can encourage each other,” White says. “From the outside you look at it and think, ‘OK, a bunch of people going crazy, diving in mud, running through the obstacles, what is the big deal?’ But after you do one, you just get it. It allows you to be a kid again.” Search Big Nasty Mud Run on Facebook or Active.com
JCB MUD RUN
Date: Saturday, June 16
Location: JCB campus
At 8 a.m. runners will take off on a course that stretches just over four miles. With 10 obstacles guaranteed to get your heart pumping and your feet, hands and, most likely, face dirty, it’s sure to be a great event. It takes place on Father’s Day weekend, so it’s perfect for the whole family.
Written by Richelle Laughinghouse
View the full story on our latest issue!
- Ashely Bowersox of Thinc Savannah Hosts First Lady Rosalynn Carter
- Gena Rowlands Honored with Lifetime Achievement Award
- Savannah Film Festival Docs to Watch Series
- The Levy Jewelers Red, White and Blue Balloon Festival
- Rape Crisis Center Launches ‘Bar Bystander’ Program
- Jorge Gutierrez Shares The Stories Behind "The Book of Life"
- Spotlight on Matt Bomer
- Lights! Cameras! Asa! Savannah Film Fest
- Landlubbers Beware: El Galeón Andalucía is Savannah Bound
- Go Over the Edge this Halloween
- Top Choice Events for this Week: October 20-26
- DineSouth = HUGE Success
- 9 Reasons You Absolutely Can't Miss the Biggest Event of the Year
- Barbecue Fountain of Youth
- A Vodka Revolution
- Oct 31 2014
- Dreadful Pestilence: Yellow Fever in Savannah 1820
- Crawl-O-Ween on River Street
- "The Nightmare on Congress Street" Charity Bar Crawl
- Over the Edge
- Escape Savannah!
- Ampersand Halloween Extravaganza
- Nov 01 2014
- Levy Jewelers Red, White & Blue Balloon Festival
- Free 3-Day Weekend for Whitfield Lovell: Deep River
- Free Weekend at the Jepson Center
- Cars and Coffee