Savannah’s inaugural month-long Preservation Festival is in full swing. Last Thursday Historic Savannah Foundation celebrated outstanding rehabilitation, craftsmanship and new design during its Awards Luncheon at Ships of the Sea Museum Garden. A jury of local experts in architecture, planning, design and related fields scrutinized nominations, and awarded projects that have made a difference and represented a variety of interests throughout Savannah and Chatham County. Award-winning projects ranged from the restoration of the Houston Praise House in Port Wentworth which once served slaves on Rice Hope Plantation to a 1920s-style Tybee Cottage. Project winners Steve and Louisa Buckner shared their story of how the restoration of their home at 611 Whitaker Street brought them together in a joint endeavor after the death of their spouses. The two were married in front of the mantelpiece amid construction debris and unfinished walls.
In addition to the numerous project winners, three other special awards were given. Savannah College of Art and Design President and Co-Founder, Paula Wallace, received the Davenport Trophy, the foundation’s highest preservation honor, for transforming an 1856 Greek Revival structure, which once functioned as the headquarters of the Central of Georgia Railway, into the sleek and modern SCAD Museum of Art.
In honor of its first year anniversary, Pakwan celebrated with an authentic Indian cuisine tasting last Thursday. Guests mingled inside and on the porch sampling food and drink as family members and guests milled about in colorful traditional saris.
- Picnic in the Park 2014
- Lowcountry Legacy: Erica Russo Davis
- Top Choice Events For This Week: September 16-21
- In the Studio with Chase Allen
- Goodbye to Sean Haire, A True Renaissance Man
- Tally ho Y’all: Foxhunting in the South
- Island Getaway: Kiawah Island
- Top Choice Events For This Week: September 8-14
- Monte Carlo 2014: A Night of Gaming, Glitz, and Glamour
- Oh, What a Night! Savannah’s Fashion Night 2014
- Little St. Simons: Island Getaway
- Top Choice Events For This Week: September 2-6
- United Way Campaign Kick-Off 2014
- Southern Made Products: August-September
- Sand Gnats August 28, 2014
- Sep 18 2014
- Art Start Stroller Tours
- Portfolio Builder: Youth Drawing 1
- Charity Date Auction Fundraiser
- Charity Date Auction-to benefit Coastal Pet Rescue
- Telfair Tots: Water, Water Everywhere
- Sep 19 2014
- Savannah Theremin Summit
- Bistro Savoir Interactif
- Friday Night at the Movies ..."Jaws!"
- Sep 20 2014
- Monte Carlo: A Night of Gaming, Glitz, and Glamour