Savannah’s inaugural month-long Preservation Festival is in full swing. Last Thursday Historic Savannah Foundation celebrated outstanding rehabilitation, craftsmanship and new design during its Awards Luncheon at Ships of the Sea Museum Garden. A jury of local experts in architecture, planning, design and related fields scrutinized nominations, and awarded projects that have made a difference and represented a variety of interests throughout Savannah and Chatham County. Award-winning projects ranged from the restoration of the Houston Praise House in Port Wentworth which once served slaves on Rice Hope Plantation to a 1920s-style Tybee Cottage. Project winners Steve and Louisa Buckner shared their story of how the restoration of their home at 611 Whitaker Street brought them together in a joint endeavor after the death of their spouses. The two were married in front of the mantelpiece amid construction debris and unfinished walls.
In addition to the numerous project winners, three other special awards were given. Savannah College of Art and Design President and Co-Founder, Paula Wallace, received the Davenport Trophy, the foundation’s highest preservation honor, for transforming an 1856 Greek Revival structure, which once functioned as the headquarters of the Central of Georgia Railway, into the sleek and modern SCAD Museum of Art.
In honor of its first year anniversary, Pakwan celebrated with an authentic Indian cuisine tasting last Thursday. Guests mingled inside and on the porch sampling food and drink as family members and guests milled about in colorful traditional saris.
- Savannah, Too Pretty To Burn
- 5 Southern Holiday Recipes To Wow Your Guests
- 5 Holiday Desserts You Must Eat
- The Dynamic Duo
- People, Not Patients
- Genius In Their Field
- Half A Million Lights Over Five Acres
- Caring and Compassionate
- Nothin' Says "Christmas" Like A Hoedown!
- Unique and Knowledgeable
- She Walks The Walk
- 8 Local Gifts For Out Of State Friends
- It's Not The Jewish Christmas
- Passion for Medicine
- Healthier Lifestyles
- Dec 22 2014
- Sea Pines Christmas Stocking Deliveries
- Dec 23 2014
- Sea Pines Gregg Russell Christmas Concert
- Sea Pines Harbour Town Trolley
- Dec 24 2014
- Christmas Eve Dinner Entertainment Cruise
- Pacci's Christmas Eve "Feast of the 7 FIshes"
- Dec 26 2014
- Sea Pines Caroling Wagon Ride
- Dec 27 2014
- Sea Pines Holiday Fun in Harbour Town
- Dec 31 2014
- New Years Eve "Up The Cup"
- Tybee New Year's Eve Fireworks
- Sea Pines 14th Annual Polar Bear Swim