Savannah’s inaugural month-long Preservation Festival is in full swing. Last Thursday Historic Savannah Foundation celebrated outstanding rehabilitation, craftsmanship and new design during its Awards Luncheon at Ships of the Sea Museum Garden. A jury of local experts in architecture, planning, design and related fields scrutinized nominations, and awarded projects that have made a difference and represented a variety of interests throughout Savannah and Chatham County. Award-winning projects ranged from the restoration of the Houston Praise House in Port Wentworth which once served slaves on Rice Hope Plantation to a 1920s-style Tybee Cottage. Project winners Steve and Louisa Buckner shared their story of how the restoration of their home at 611 Whitaker Street brought them together in a joint endeavor after the death of their spouses. The two were married in front of the mantelpiece amid construction debris and unfinished walls.
In addition to the numerous project winners, three other special awards were given. Savannah College of Art and Design President and Co-Founder, Paula Wallace, received the Davenport Trophy, the foundation’s highest preservation honor, for transforming an 1856 Greek Revival structure, which once functioned as the headquarters of the Central of Georgia Railway, into the sleek and modern SCAD Museum of Art.
In honor of its first year anniversary, Pakwan celebrated with an authentic Indian cuisine tasting last Thursday. Guests mingled inside and on the porch sampling food and drink as family members and guests milled about in colorful traditional saris.
- Ashely Bowersox of Thinc Savannah Hosts First Lady Rosalynn Carter
- Gena Rowlands Honored with Lifetime Achievement Award
- Savannah Film Festival Docs to Watch Series
- The Levy Jewelers Red, White and Blue Balloon Festival
- Rape Crisis Center Launches ‘Bar Bystander’ Program
- Jorge Gutierrez Shares The Stories Behind "The Book of Life"
- Spotlight on Matt Bomer
- Lights! Cameras! Asa! Savannah Film Fest
- Landlubbers Beware: El Galeón Andalucía is Savannah Bound
- Go Over the Edge this Halloween
- Top Choice Events for this Week: October 20-26
- DineSouth = HUGE Success
- 9 Reasons You Absolutely Can't Miss the Biggest Event of the Year
- Barbecue Fountain of Youth
- A Vodka Revolution
- Oct 31 2014
- Dreadful Pestilence: Yellow Fever in Savannah 1820
- Crawl-O-Ween on River Street
- "The Nightmare on Congress Street" Charity Bar Crawl
- Over the Edge
- Escape Savannah!
- Ampersand Halloween Extravaganza
- Nov 01 2014
- Levy Jewelers Red, White & Blue Balloon Festival
- Free 3-Day Weekend for Whitfield Lovell: Deep River
- Free Weekend at the Jepson Center
- Cars and Coffee