Savannah’s inaugural month-long Preservation Festival is in full swing. Last Thursday Historic Savannah Foundation celebrated outstanding rehabilitation, craftsmanship and new design during its Awards Luncheon at Ships of the Sea Museum Garden. A jury of local experts in architecture, planning, design and related fields scrutinized nominations, and awarded projects that have made a difference and represented a variety of interests throughout Savannah and Chatham County. Award-winning projects ranged from the restoration of the Houston Praise House in Port Wentworth which once served slaves on Rice Hope Plantation to a 1920s-style Tybee Cottage. Project winners Steve and Louisa Buckner shared their story of how the restoration of their home at 611 Whitaker Street brought them together in a joint endeavor after the death of their spouses. The two were married in front of the mantelpiece amid construction debris and unfinished walls.
In addition to the numerous project winners, three other special awards were given. Savannah College of Art and Design President and Co-Founder, Paula Wallace, received the Davenport Trophy, the foundation’s highest preservation honor, for transforming an 1856 Greek Revival structure, which once functioned as the headquarters of the Central of Georgia Railway, into the sleek and modern SCAD Museum of Art.
In honor of its first year anniversary, Pakwan celebrated with an authentic Indian cuisine tasting last Thursday. Guests mingled inside and on the porch sampling food and drink as family members and guests milled about in colorful traditional saris.
- Top Choice Events For This Week: September 2-6
- United Way Campaign Kick-Off 2014
- Southern Made Products: August-September
- Sand Gnats August 28, 2014
- Top Choice Events For This Week: August 25-31
- Tawny Ellis
- Ponte Vedra
- Southern Adventures: Water and Sporting Clays
- Top Choice Events for this Week: August 18-24
- CASA MONICA
- Special Agent Eugene Kowel and the FBI in Savannah
- Stay Safe This Season
- Island Getaway: Daufuskie Island
- It's Bo Time at South!
- Top Choice Events for this Week: August 4-10
- Sep 02 2014
- Leadership NOW!
- Sep 03 2014
- Wednesday Night Supper Club
- Sep 04 2014
- United Way Campaign Kick-Off
- Taste of Pooler
- Douglas Stratton's "Coastal Empire" Art Show
- Savannah's Fashion Night
- Lecture by Dr. Chris Hendricks: Gardens, Manners, and William Jay: Savannah's Romantic Spirit
- Jules - More Than Makeup Launch Party
- Sep 05 2014
- First Friday Fireworks
- River Street presents BACON FEST! | September 5 & 6
|« Aug||Oct »|