Savannah’s inaugural month-long Preservation Festival is in full swing. Last Thursday Historic Savannah Foundation celebrated outstanding rehabilitation, craftsmanship and new design during its Awards Luncheon at Ships of the Sea Museum Garden. A jury of local experts in architecture, planning, design and related fields scrutinized nominations, and awarded projects that have made a difference and represented a variety of interests throughout Savannah and Chatham County. Award-winning projects ranged from the restoration of the Houston Praise House in Port Wentworth which once served slaves on Rice Hope Plantation to a 1920s-style Tybee Cottage. Project winners Steve and Louisa Buckner shared their story of how the restoration of their home at 611 Whitaker Street brought them together in a joint endeavor after the death of their spouses. The two were married in front of the mantelpiece amid construction debris and unfinished walls.
In addition to the numerous project winners, three other special awards were given. Savannah College of Art and Design President and Co-Founder, Paula Wallace, received the Davenport Trophy, the foundation’s highest preservation honor, for transforming an 1856 Greek Revival structure, which once functioned as the headquarters of the Central of Georgia Railway, into the sleek and modern SCAD Museum of Art.
In honor of its first year anniversary, Pakwan celebrated with an authentic Indian cuisine tasting last Thursday. Guests mingled inside and on the porch sampling food and drink as family members and guests milled about in colorful traditional saris.
- Holiday Shoppin’ in the Square
- Restaurant Royalty
- Sometimes Your Words Just Hypnotize Me
- Jamie Deen’s Good Food
- Children’s Book Festival
- The New Oyster Cult
- Food Show 2013
- Homegrown Homecoming
- Behind the Scenes with Jaimie Alexander
- Jazz’d Turns Ten
- Turkey Takeout
- First Friday Art March
- Charleston Place Hotel
- Savannah Film Festival 2013 – “The Book Thief”
- Dec 05 2013
- A Christmas Tradition | Nov 28-Dec 26
- 25th Annual Christmas Pottery Sale | Dec 4 & 5
- Downtown Design District Holiday Walk
- Reception: 1st Art Exhibition and Sale
- Martin de Porres Society Fundraiser
- December Nights & Holiday Lights | Dec 5-Dec 8
- Savannah Harbor Festival of Lights | November 29 - January 1
- Cilantro's Mexican Restaurant: Relaunch Fiesta!!
- Salsa Savannah Dance Party
- Dec 06 2013
- Lights on for Tybee