Gypsy Gourmet, an underground restaurant/catering/guestaurant/supper club concept, is the brainchild of Chef Christopher Storey. This new venture made its debut last night at mixologist and Foodie2shoes blogger Wendy Williby’s home and intimate courtyard. Williby got a little wine pairing help courtesy of FORM’s co-owner Claude Auerbach. These service industry mavens worked together to create an amazing al fresco dining experience, but the setting was upstaged by the magnificent food and presentation prepared on-site by Storey.
The evening started with a Sake Sangria, a slightly creamy, fruity drink made with hints of pear, coconut, and peach. This light and refreshing drink was paired with handmade sushi featuring heavenly day-of smoked salmon served alongside two varieties of gourmet cheeses and crostini. The cocktail hour was rounded out by tasty Serrano ham and mozzarella rolls.
For the first course, Storey presented mini crab cakes topped with an excellent Cajun Remoulade. The crab cakes had a distinct lemony appeal and were lightly battered so the crab could actually be enjoyed. My favorite course of the evening quickly followed—a grilled corn and crawfish chowder with crawfish garnish. The flavors of the broth were strong and spicy courtesy of pepper jack cheese, onions, and plenty of seasonings and were balanced wonderfully with the sweet flavors of corn, butter and generous helpings of chunky crawfish. Next, a fun, unique marinated salad hit our taste buds with a roasted garlic and honey champagne vinaigrette that coated roasted squash, cucumber, button mushrooms and both white and green asparagus spears, all topped with a large portabella.
The main event was a mojito-marinated pork loin topped with a bright and flavorful scene-stealing Chimichurri sauce complemented with yellow rice and what appeared to be baked black beans that were pleasantly soft and lightly seasoned. For dessert, a thick, dark chocolate mousse tartlette came out surrounded by a hearty and fresh strawberry sauce and served in a tiny mint-butter shell.
The food was simply excellent, and if Storey’s first underground restaurant event was any indication, Gypsy Gourmet will be in high demand and a welcome addition to Savannah dining.
Tags: Form, Gypsy, underground
- Savannah Film Festival Docs to Watch Series
- The Levy Jewelers Red, White and Blue Balloon Festival
- Rape Crisis Center Launches ‘Bar Bystander’ Program
- Jorge Gutierrez Shares The Stories Behind "The Book of Life"
- Spotlight on Matt Bomer
- Lights! Cameras! Asa! Savannah Film Fest
- Landlubbers Beware: El Galeón Andalucía is Savannah Bound
- Go Over the Edge this Halloween
- Top Choice Events for this Week: October 20-26
- DineSouth = HUGE Success
- 9 Reasons You Absolutely Can't Miss the Biggest Event of the Year
- Barbecue Fountain of Youth
- A Vodka Revolution
- Top Choice Events for this Week: October 13-19
- Start Your Engines for the Savannah Speed Classic
- Oct 31 2014
- Dreadful Pestilence: Yellow Fever in Savannah 1820
- Crawl-O-Ween on River Street
- "The Nightmare on Congress Street" Charity Bar Crawl
- Over the Edge
- Escape Savannah!
- Ampersand Halloween Extravaganza
- Nov 01 2014
- Levy Jewelers Red, White & Blue Balloon Festival
- Free 3-Day Weekend for Whitfield Lovell: Deep River
- Free Weekend at the Jepson Center
- Cars and Coffee