Gypsy Gourmet, an underground restaurant/catering/guestaurant/supper club concept, is the brainchild of Chef Christopher Storey. This new venture made its debut last night at mixologist and Foodie2shoes blogger Wendy Williby’s home and intimate courtyard. Williby got a little wine pairing help courtesy of FORM’s co-owner Claude Auerbach. These service industry mavens worked together to create an amazing al fresco dining experience, but the setting was upstaged by the magnificent food and presentation prepared on-site by Storey.
The evening started with a Sake Sangria, a slightly creamy, fruity drink made with hints of pear, coconut, and peach. This light and refreshing drink was paired with handmade sushi featuring heavenly day-of smoked salmon served alongside two varieties of gourmet cheeses and crostini. The cocktail hour was rounded out by tasty Serrano ham and mozzarella rolls.
For the first course, Storey presented mini crab cakes topped with an excellent Cajun Remoulade. The crab cakes had a distinct lemony appeal and were lightly battered so the crab could actually be enjoyed. My favorite course of the evening quickly followed—a grilled corn and crawfish chowder with crawfish garnish. The flavors of the broth were strong and spicy courtesy of pepper jack cheese, onions, and plenty of seasonings and were balanced wonderfully with the sweet flavors of corn, butter and generous helpings of chunky crawfish. Next, a fun, unique marinated salad hit our taste buds with a roasted garlic and honey champagne vinaigrette that coated roasted squash, cucumber, button mushrooms and both white and green asparagus spears, all topped with a large portabella.
The main event was a mojito-marinated pork loin topped with a bright and flavorful scene-stealing Chimichurri sauce complemented with yellow rice and what appeared to be baked black beans that were pleasantly soft and lightly seasoned. For dessert, a thick, dark chocolate mousse tartlette came out surrounded by a hearty and fresh strawberry sauce and served in a tiny mint-butter shell.
The food was simply excellent, and if Storey’s first underground restaurant event was any indication, Gypsy Gourmet will be in high demand and a welcome addition to Savannah dining.
Tags: Form, Gypsy, underground
- Unique and Knowledgeable
- She Walks The Walk
- 8 Local Gifts For Out Of State Friends
- It's Not The Jewish Christmas
- Passion for Medicine
- Healthier Lifestyles
- It's All In The Family
- Run, Run Rudolph!
- The Laziest Gift Guide for South’s Laziest Savannah Reader
- Holiday Gift Ideas for People Who Have Everything
- Delivering Innovative Pain Management
- 10 Southern Holiday Celebrations You Can't Miss
- Music and Motorcycles
- Faith In Action
- Care Through All of Life's Milestones
- Dec 18 2014
- Telfair Tots: Silver and Gold
- Art on Tap
- Art Start Stroller Tours: Color/Contrast
- Dec 19 2014
- 4th Annual Homegrown Holiday Hoedown
- Dec 20 2014
- Sea Pines Outdoor Movie- "Polar Express"
- "The Twelve Bars of Christmas" 5k Charity Bar Crawl
- Dec 22 2014
- Sea Pines Christmas Stocking Deliveries
- Dec 23 2014
- Sea Pines Gregg Russell Christmas Concert
- Sea Pines Harbour Town Trolley
- Dec 24 2014
- Christmas Eve Dinner Entertainment Cruise