Though host Lady Chablis may not sing “There She Is, Miss America” at the Miss Savannah Pride Pageant at Club One on July 29, the winner is sure to be the “queen of femininity” that the song describes. In its eleventh year, this beauty pageant with a twist celebrates style and talent—and it’s a fundraiser for Savannah Pride, a local LGBT (lesbian, gay, bi, and transgendered) organization that hosts the annual Pride Festival in Savannah.
The show starts at 10 PM; there will an $11 cover charge. Hosted by Savannah celebrity Lady Chablis and Kristina Foxx (who impersonates another Savannah favorite, Paula Deen), the pageant will feature talent from Savannah’s LGBT community as contestants don their best drag.
“Usually what they do is sing and dance,” said Tim Blair, Procurement Director of Savannah Pride. While talents such as those are pretty standard for pageants, sometimes the nature of this particular pageant adds a twist: “Last year, a contestant got up to do a dance and her wig fell off! She still got runner-up, though.”
Past pageants have seen a range of talents.
“We see a lot of fire acts—nothing out of the ordinary,” said Jeffery Scott of Savannah Pride. But perhaps the “ordinary” is subjective.
There are usually about seven or eight contestants who compete for the attention of a panel of judges including last year’s winner, said Blair. Prizes include cash and gift certificates. Judges will look at talent, the required evening gown, and each contestant’s interpretation of the theme “Green.”
And while style always counts, “the talent is what they look for the most,” said Blair.
Savannah Pride also hosts a color-themed party each month—this month’s party and its theme color have been combined with the Miss Savannah Pride Pageant.
The pageant was originated by an owner of Club One to complement the Pride Festival in the fall, which has been taking place since 2000, said Scott. This year’s Pride Festival will be on place Saturday, September 11 at Forsyth Park.
And if you miss the crowning of Miss Savannah Pride, you can catch the Mr. Savannah Pride Pageant on Friday, August 6.
Tags: Club One, Lady Chablis, Miss Savannah Pride Pageant, Savannah, Savannah Pride, Savannah Pride Festival, south magazine
- Ten Tips for Bikini Season
- Music Festival Fashion
- Top Choice Events for This Week: April 21-27
- Dieting vs. Healthy Eating
- “Slow Poke” Bill
- Some Like it Hot, Some Like a Stout
- Talking Trends: Celebrity Stylist Ashley Borders gives us the 411
- Top Choice Events for This Week: April 14-20
- Savannah Youth Sings
- Girls on the Run
- Marc Jacobs and Louis Vuitton Film Screening
- Top Choice Events for This Week: April 7-13
- Yoga Barre: Arm Balance and Handstand Workshop
- Marilyn Monroe at the Jepson
- Marilyn: Celebrating an American Icon
- Apr 23 2014
- 2014 USTA Savannah Challenger Tennis Tournament | April 19-27
- 2nd Annual Big Bad Print Show | Submission Deadline
- 35th Annual Volunteer Recognition & Awards Luncheon
- Apr 24 2014
- 2014 Jewels & Jeans benefit for Second Harvest of Coastal Georgia
- Ray Ellis: Sketches from 1971-2011
- Savannah International Animation Festival
- PERC Coffee Tasting at Andaz Savannah
- Films in Forsyth presents: Disney’s 'The Chronicles of Narnia'
- Apr 25 2014
- Helen Levitt: In the Street – Lecture and Opening Reception
- AquaCurean | April 25-27