Though host Lady Chablis may not sing “There She Is, Miss America” at the Miss Savannah Pride Pageant at Club One on July 29, the winner is sure to be the “queen of femininity” that the song describes. In its eleventh year, this beauty pageant with a twist celebrates style and talent—and it’s a fundraiser for Savannah Pride, a local LGBT (lesbian, gay, bi, and transgendered) organization that hosts the annual Pride Festival in Savannah.
The show starts at 10 PM; there will an $11 cover charge. Hosted by Savannah celebrity Lady Chablis and Kristina Foxx (who impersonates another Savannah favorite, Paula Deen), the pageant will feature talent from Savannah’s LGBT community as contestants don their best drag.
“Usually what they do is sing and dance,” said Tim Blair, Procurement Director of Savannah Pride. While talents such as those are pretty standard for pageants, sometimes the nature of this particular pageant adds a twist: “Last year, a contestant got up to do a dance and her wig fell off! She still got runner-up, though.”
Past pageants have seen a range of talents.
“We see a lot of fire acts—nothing out of the ordinary,” said Jeffery Scott of Savannah Pride. But perhaps the “ordinary” is subjective.
There are usually about seven or eight contestants who compete for the attention of a panel of judges including last year’s winner, said Blair. Prizes include cash and gift certificates. Judges will look at talent, the required evening gown, and each contestant’s interpretation of the theme “Green.”
And while style always counts, “the talent is what they look for the most,” said Blair.
Savannah Pride also hosts a color-themed party each month—this month’s party and its theme color have been combined with the Miss Savannah Pride Pageant.
The pageant was originated by an owner of Club One to complement the Pride Festival in the fall, which has been taking place since 2000, said Scott. This year’s Pride Festival will be on place Saturday, September 11 at Forsyth Park.
And if you miss the crowning of Miss Savannah Pride, you can catch the Mr. Savannah Pride Pageant on Friday, August 6.
Tags: Club One, Lady Chablis, Miss Savannah Pride Pageant, Savannah, Savannah Pride, Savannah Pride Festival, south magazine
- Landlubbers Beware: El Galeón Andalucía is Savannah Bound
- Go Over the Edge this Halloween
- Top Choice Events for this Week: October 20-26
- DineSouth = HUGE Success
- 9 Reasons You Absolutely Can't Miss the Biggest Event of the Year
- Barbecue Fountain of Youth
- A Vodka Revolution
- Top Choice Events for this Week: October 13-19
- Start Your Engines for the Savannah Speed Classic
- 4 In-Season Fruits for Fall
- Who Is the Ice Queen?
- What You Need to Know About Bottles & Cans
- Top Choice Events for this Week: October 6-12
- Beware of FOMO
- Picnic is an Understatement
- Oct 22 2014
- U.S. Air Force Concert Band and Singing Sergeants
- Oct 23 2014
- Buy Local Luncheon
- Video Game Development
- Oct 24 2014
- Dreadful Pestilence: Yellow Fever in Savannah 1820
- Rivers & Glen Trading Co. Announce Grand Opening October 24 in Savannah
- EL GALEÓN ANDALUCÍA VISIT
- Savannah Speed Classic Oct 24-26
- Rooms With A View: Southern Style - Lecture and Luncheon
- The Annual Halloween Hike at Oatland Island Wildlife Center