Though host Lady Chablis may not sing “There She Is, Miss America” at the Miss Savannah Pride Pageant at Club One on July 29, the winner is sure to be the “queen of femininity” that the song describes. In its eleventh year, this beauty pageant with a twist celebrates style and talent—and it’s a fundraiser for Savannah Pride, a local LGBT (lesbian, gay, bi, and transgendered) organization that hosts the annual Pride Festival in Savannah.
The show starts at 10 PM; there will an $11 cover charge. Hosted by Savannah celebrity Lady Chablis and Kristina Foxx (who impersonates another Savannah favorite, Paula Deen), the pageant will feature talent from Savannah’s LGBT community as contestants don their best drag.
“Usually what they do is sing and dance,” said Tim Blair, Procurement Director of Savannah Pride. While talents such as those are pretty standard for pageants, sometimes the nature of this particular pageant adds a twist: “Last year, a contestant got up to do a dance and her wig fell off! She still got runner-up, though.”
Past pageants have seen a range of talents.
“We see a lot of fire acts—nothing out of the ordinary,” said Jeffery Scott of Savannah Pride. But perhaps the “ordinary” is subjective.
There are usually about seven or eight contestants who compete for the attention of a panel of judges including last year’s winner, said Blair. Prizes include cash and gift certificates. Judges will look at talent, the required evening gown, and each contestant’s interpretation of the theme “Green.”
And while style always counts, “the talent is what they look for the most,” said Blair.
Savannah Pride also hosts a color-themed party each month—this month’s party and its theme color have been combined with the Miss Savannah Pride Pageant.
The pageant was originated by an owner of Club One to complement the Pride Festival in the fall, which has been taking place since 2000, said Scott. This year’s Pride Festival will be on place Saturday, September 11 at Forsyth Park.
And if you miss the crowning of Miss Savannah Pride, you can catch the Mr. Savannah Pride Pageant on Friday, August 6.
Tags: Club One, Lady Chablis, Miss Savannah Pride Pageant, Savannah, Savannah Pride, Savannah Pride Festival, south magazine
- Pacci Italian Kitchen + Bar Spring 2014 Opening
- Obama Budget Denies Funding for Georgia Ports Expansion Project
- GLORIOSA-Art in Bloom
- Fasting: How can it possibly be good for you!? Part 2
- Josh Reddick's Amazing Catches
- Top Choice Events for this Week: March 3 – 9
- Behind the Scenes at the 2nd Annual Diamond Ball
- The 33rd Annual Miss St. Patrick’s Day Pageant
- Sarah Elizabeth Jones Petition
- Got Heartburn? Dr. Mandel and the New LINX Procedure
- Savannah’s Tourism and Paula Deen on the Rise!
- 2nd Annual Diamond Ball
- South magazine Behind the Scenes at the Telfair Ball
- “St. Practice Day on River Street” Charity Bar Crawl
- South magazine Promo by Jake Delphine
- Mar 07 2014
- GhoStock: Resurrection | March 7-9
- Savannah Boat & Outdoor Show | March 7-9
- Opening Reception: Savannah Rocks! @ BLICK Art Supply Gallery
- OPENING RECEPTION: Senior Art Exhibition: F/5 Visual Impact | March 3-14
- The Band Perry 'We Are Pioneers' World Tour 2014
- Tacori Tax Back Weekend | March 7-8
- Black Maria Film and Video Festival
- Seersucker Live - The Jig Episode
- Spa Bleu Nights: An Evening of Southern Comfort
- 30th Annual Greening of the Fountain at Forsyth Park