Meet Kevin Ray, former teacher and marketing representative, and current Canine Behavior Therapist. Having found his calling as a teacher, he didn’t expect some of his students to be quite so furry. But nonetheless, he still enjoys every minute of teaching whether it’s canine students, local veterinarians or pet owners.
Having been influenced by Mother Nature and all her glory since childhood, Kevin has always enjoyed being around animals, an appreciation that ultimately led to his current title, Certified Professional Dog Trainer-Knowledge Assessed (CPDT-KA). Recently adorned with the title of Victoria Stilwell Positively Dog Trainer, he’s making quite the impact in the Coastal Empire.
I’m one of three male Victoria Stilwell Positively Dog Trainers. The only other two males reside in New Jersey and Rome, Italy.
I started training to meet the criteria for the Certification Council of Pet Dog Trainers (CCPDT) by volunteering at places like Animal Resort & Spa, LLC. and Salt Creek Kennels, LLC. (In order to be eligible to sit for the CCPDT exam, one must complete 225 verifiable hours of actual training.)
I’ve watched Victoria Stilwell’s television show, It’s Me or the Dog, since 2008, and meeting her at a conference in Louisville, KY really inspired me to look at her program.
As a candidate of her program, I was evaluated by Victoria after being invited to an Atlanta Humane Society to spend the day working with dogs there. I had to get a stray, fearful dog to bond with me and earn the dog’s trust. The dog had obviously been abused, and seemingly by a male, but I earned the dog’s trust and Victoria was very impressed by that ability.
I’ve created a library of dog types and scenarios from Victoria’s show (It’s Me or the Dog). I take notes that inspire me when helping clients.
I’m a teacher and a student of positive reinforcement dog training because I’m constantly looking for ways to continue my education, as well as teach others.
The benefit of positive training is that dogs aren’t being abused. The methods are very humane and I’m teaching dog owners positive ways to have trusting relationships with their pets.
When people have pet behavior problems, the first source is a veterinarian. Most veterinarians are trained medically, not in behavior, and they’ll probably prescribe a drug which can be a good thing, but it isn’t always necessary. What I’m doing is helping educate veterinarians by working with a certified pet trainer to help modify the behavior, and ultimately reduce or eliminate drugs completely.
“It’s me or the dog” is the mentality most people have, which can lead to pets being abandoned, put in shelters or euthanized. If I can get in there and help prevent that from happening, I can save lives.
To find out more information about Kevin’s practice, contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 912.661.3027.
For more information about Victoria Stilwell, visit her website at positively.com.
Photo compliments of Kevin Ray
Tags: canine behavior therapist, Canine Therapy Center, dog training, Kevin Ray, Victoria Stilwell
- In the Studio with Chase Allen
- Goodbye to Sean Haire, A True Renaissance Man
- Tally ho Y’all: Foxhunting in the South
- Island Getaway: Kiawah Island
- Top Choice Events For This Week: September 8-14
- Monte Carlo 2014: A Night of Gaming, Glitz, and Glamour
- Oh, What a Night! Savannah’s Fashion Night 2014
- Little St. Simons: Island Getaway
- Top Choice Events For This Week: September 2-6
- United Way Campaign Kick-Off 2014
- Southern Made Products: August-September
- Sand Gnats August 28, 2014
- Top Choice Events For This Week: August 25-31
- Tawny Ellis
- Ponte Vedra
- Sep 15 2014
- River and Ports Oil Sketching
- Complimentary Skin Cancer Screenings
- Sep 16 2014
- Goodwill of the Coastal Empire Announces Stand Down for Homelessness Resource and Job Fair
- Sep 17 2014
- 13th Colony Membership Drive Party
- Smart Women Luncheon Expo
- Second Annual Ms. Savannah Ambucs Womanless Beauty Pageant
- Martinis at the Mansion x Pegasus Riding Academy
- Sketch Booking is Hip!
- Sep 18 2014
- Art Start Stroller Tours
- Portfolio Builder: Youth Drawing 1