Being a long-time frequenter of cultural events in Savannah, there’s nothing that makes me cringe more than when I hear some poor, unknowing soul say, “There’s nothing to do,” or “I’m bored,” because, besides the natural beauty of the city which offers plenty of opportunities to get outdoors, the people who inhabit it are truly are relentless in their pursuit of a good time.
In fact, many locals have become bona fide experts in the subjects of festivals, concerts, art exhibits, benefits, and the other events that celebrate the spirit the Hostess City, a nick-name which in itself personifies the general attitude toward our love of hilarity and mirth. This being said, as the Events Editor and resident Events blogger, I’m here to make enjoying the city’s special events easier than ever by bringing you previews as well as reviews of some of the best events in the South!
My first pick is a Savannah classic and one of my favorites because, well, you can’t really beat an event that incorporates wiener dog racing, clogging performances, eating contests, and beer. As the hot weather finally breaks, the Waterfront Association is celebrating the coming of fall by hosting its annual Oktoberfest festival on the Savannah River. And if there was ever an event that embodies Savannah’s free spirited, fun-loving side, this is it. (Notice the big smiles on Scott West and pal Scooter Pie from the Savannah Dachsund Club, pictured above). Besides the previously mentioned events, there’s also a long line-up musical guests that will be playing on multiple stages in the historic River Street area and in the event’s official beer garden.
The event kicks off Friday night and lasts until the wee hours of Sunday night. The events are free and open to the public. The wiener dog races–an infamously entertaining event–will be held Saturday morning at 10:00 a.m. and race registration is at 8:00 a.m. For more information, visit www.riverstreetsavannah.com.
And don’t forget: In order to best provide you with information about area events, I need your feedback. Let me know which events you’re interested in (or completely uninterested in) or what you’d like to know more about.
Tags: beer, Events, Events Blog, River Street
- 5 Reasons to Stalk the Cast of Magic Mike XXL This Week
- Top Choice Events for this Week: Sept 29 - Oct 5
- It’s Fall, Y’all
- Distinguished Gentlemen Riding Through Savannah
- 7th Annual Dancing with Savannah Stars
- The Spartan Group X Side of training
- Top Choice Events For This Week: September 22-28
- Mandarin Oriental: Atlanta
- Picnic in the Park 2014
- Lowcountry Legacy: Erica Russo Davis
- Top Choice Events For This Week: September 16-21
- In the Studio with Chase Allen
- Goodbye to Sean Haire, A True Renaissance Man
- Tally ho Y’all: Foxhunting in the South
- Island Getaway: Kiawah Island
- Sep 30 2014
- Open House Savannah Station
- Turn it Pink
- Workshop: Top 5 Must Dos Before Selling Your Home - Tuesday, Sept. 23
- Oct 01 2014
- Bariatric Surgery Information Session
- Original Skin Tattoo Parlor Opens at the Savannah Mall
- Oct 02 2014
- Lunch 'N' Thinc with John Bennett
- CASA Dancing with the Savannah Stars
- Oct 03 2014
- Dreadful Pestilence: Yellow Fever in Savannah 1820
- OKTOBERFEST 2014
- First Friday Fireworks