Being a long-time frequenter of cultural events in Savannah, there’s nothing that makes me cringe more than when I hear some poor, unknowing soul say, “There’s nothing to do,” or “I’m bored,” because, besides the natural beauty of the city which offers plenty of opportunities to get outdoors, the people who inhabit it are truly are relentless in their pursuit of a good time.
In fact, many locals have become bona fide experts in the subjects of festivals, concerts, art exhibits, benefits, and the other events that celebrate the spirit the Hostess City, a nick-name which in itself personifies the general attitude toward our love of hilarity and mirth. This being said, as the Events Editor and resident Events blogger, I’m here to make enjoying the city’s special events easier than ever by bringing you previews as well as reviews of some of the best events in the South!
My first pick is a Savannah classic and one of my favorites because, well, you can’t really beat an event that incorporates wiener dog racing, clogging performances, eating contests, and beer. As the hot weather finally breaks, the Waterfront Association is celebrating the coming of fall by hosting its annual Oktoberfest festival on the Savannah River. And if there was ever an event that embodies Savannah’s free spirited, fun-loving side, this is it. (Notice the big smiles on Scott West and pal Scooter Pie from the Savannah Dachsund Club, pictured above). Besides the previously mentioned events, there’s also a long line-up musical guests that will be playing on multiple stages in the historic River Street area and in the event’s official beer garden.
The event kicks off Friday night and lasts until the wee hours of Sunday night. The events are free and open to the public. The wiener dog races–an infamously entertaining event–will be held Saturday morning at 10:00 a.m. and race registration is at 8:00 a.m. For more information, visit www.riverstreetsavannah.com.
And don’t forget: In order to best provide you with information about area events, I need your feedback. Let me know which events you’re interested in (or completely uninterested in) or what you’d like to know more about.
Tags: beer, Events, Events Blog, River Street
- Landlubbers Beware: El Galeón Andalucía is Savannah Bound
- Go Over the Edge this Halloween
- Top Choice Events for this Week: October 20-26
- DineSouth = HUGE Success
- 9 Reasons You Absolutely Can't Miss the Biggest Event of the Year
- Barbecue Fountain of Youth
- A Vodka Revolution
- Top Choice Events for this Week: October 13-19
- Start Your Engines for the Savannah Speed Classic
- 4 In-Season Fruits for Fall
- Who Is the Ice Queen?
- What You Need to Know About Bottles & Cans
- Top Choice Events for this Week: October 6-12
- Beware of FOMO
- Picnic is an Understatement
- Oct 25 2014
- Dreadful Pestilence: Yellow Fever in Savannah 1820
- Little Grand Wine Tasting!
- 9th Annual Wag-O-Ween
- SKIDAWAY ISLAND FALL FESTIVAL
- Isle of Hope Art & Music Fest
- EL GALEÓN ANDALUCÍA VISIT
- The Landings Art Association Fall Art Sidewalk Show
- Digging Savannah Walking Tour of Downtown Savannah
- Savannah Speed Classic Oct 24-26
- Rooms With A View: Southern Style - Muffins and Mimosas