I’m not sure whether it was the free flowing wine, the satisfying and indulgent cuisine, or the highly entertaining local auctioneer, Jere Myers, but Savannahians were feeling very generous last night at the March of Dimes Signature Chefs Auction as bidders competed for extravagant prizes that all centered around the theme of food—my favorite!
And speaking of food, before the bidding wars started, guests got some much needed energy by sampling some of the best eats in town as about 20 local chefs prepared their signature dishes. Some of my favorites–and I definitely took the time to try each chef’s offerings–included Alligator Soul’s Maple Bourbon Glazed Shrimp Piquant (created by chef Chris DiNello), Wiley’s Championship BBQ’s Brisket Biscuits with blue cheese (chef Wiley McCrary), and Il Pasticcio’s Braised Lamb and Butternut Squash (chef Mir Ali). Being a Georgia-born foodie, I was thrilled to see so many of the chefs using fresh local ingredients to put an extra special twist on some of southern cooking’s finest traditions; however, there was one dish in particular that stood out and I have a good idea many of the diners felt the same. [Ed. Note: I loved this dish so much I dreamt of it last night!] The dish was macaroni and cheese, but being infused with lobster and shrimp and served in a martini glass, it was the ultimate luxurious spin on one of the best southern comfort foods and I literally couldn’t stop making my way back for scoop after scoop. (It was prepared by chef David Gordon with the Hyatt Regency Hotel.)
With all the good food around, it was amazing that people could stop chewing even for a second to bid on some of the dinner packages that the chefs donated to be auctioned, but they did and some guests came away with some wildly indulgent items such as spa treatments and private dinner parties. Making the event even better, all proceeds went to The March of Dimes, who help fight for healthy babies and moms.
Tags: charity, Chefs, Dining out, Events Blog
- Ashely Bowersox of Thinc Savannah Hosts First Lady Rosalynn Carter
- Gena Rowlands Honored with Lifetime Achievement Award
- Savannah Film Festival Docs to Watch Series
- The Levy Jewelers Red, White and Blue Balloon Festival
- Rape Crisis Center Launches ‘Bar Bystander’ Program
- Jorge Gutierrez Shares The Stories Behind "The Book of Life"
- Spotlight on Matt Bomer
- Lights! Cameras! Asa! Savannah Film Fest
- Landlubbers Beware: El Galeón Andalucía is Savannah Bound
- Go Over the Edge this Halloween
- Top Choice Events for this Week: October 20-26
- DineSouth = HUGE Success
- 9 Reasons You Absolutely Can't Miss the Biggest Event of the Year
- Barbecue Fountain of Youth
- A Vodka Revolution
- Oct 31 2014
- Dreadful Pestilence: Yellow Fever in Savannah 1820
- Crawl-O-Ween on River Street
- "The Nightmare on Congress Street" Charity Bar Crawl
- Over the Edge
- Escape Savannah!
- Ampersand Halloween Extravaganza
- Nov 01 2014
- Levy Jewelers Red, White & Blue Balloon Festival
- Free 3-Day Weekend for Whitfield Lovell: Deep River
- Free Weekend at the Jepson Center
- Cars and Coffee