I’m not sure whether it was the free flowing wine, the satisfying and indulgent cuisine, or the highly entertaining local auctioneer, Jere Myers, but Savannahians were feeling very generous last night at the March of Dimes Signature Chefs Auction as bidders competed for extravagant prizes that all centered around the theme of food—my favorite!
And speaking of food, before the bidding wars started, guests got some much needed energy by sampling some of the best eats in town as about 20 local chefs prepared their signature dishes. Some of my favorites–and I definitely took the time to try each chef’s offerings–included Alligator Soul’s Maple Bourbon Glazed Shrimp Piquant (created by chef Chris DiNello), Wiley’s Championship BBQ’s Brisket Biscuits with blue cheese (chef Wiley McCrary), and Il Pasticcio’s Braised Lamb and Butternut Squash (chef Mir Ali). Being a Georgia-born foodie, I was thrilled to see so many of the chefs using fresh local ingredients to put an extra special twist on some of southern cooking’s finest traditions; however, there was one dish in particular that stood out and I have a good idea many of the diners felt the same. [Ed. Note: I loved this dish so much I dreamt of it last night!] The dish was macaroni and cheese, but being infused with lobster and shrimp and served in a martini glass, it was the ultimate luxurious spin on one of the best southern comfort foods and I literally couldn’t stop making my way back for scoop after scoop. (It was prepared by chef David Gordon with the Hyatt Regency Hotel.)
With all the good food around, it was amazing that people could stop chewing even for a second to bid on some of the dinner packages that the chefs donated to be auctioned, but they did and some guests came away with some wildly indulgent items such as spa treatments and private dinner parties. Making the event even better, all proceeds went to The March of Dimes, who help fight for healthy babies and moms.
Tags: charity, Chefs, Dining out, Events Blog
- 2013 Miss St. Patrick’s Day to Hand Over Crown this Saturday
- Pacci Italian Kitchen + Bar Spring 2014 Opening
- Obama Budget Denies Funding for Georgia Ports Expansion Project
- GLORIOSA-Art in Bloom
- Fasting: How can it possibly be good for you!? Part 2
- Josh Reddick's Amazing Catches
- Top Choice Events for this Week: March 3 – 9
- Behind the Scenes at the 2nd Annual Diamond Ball
- The 33rd Annual Miss St. Patrick’s Day Pageant
- Sarah Elizabeth Jones Petition
- Got Heartburn? Dr. Mandel and the New LINX Procedure
- Savannah’s Tourism and Paula Deen on the Rise!
- 2nd Annual Diamond Ball
- South magazine Behind the Scenes at the Telfair Ball
- “St. Practice Day on River Street” Charity Bar Crawl
- Mar 08 2014
- Savannah Bitcoin Meet-Up!
- GhoStock: Resurrection | March 7-9
- Savannah Boat & Outdoor Show | March 7-9
- White Rose Luncheon
- Shamrock Scramble
- Wilmington Island Farmers' Market: Spring Season
- Senior Art Exhibition: F/5 Visual Impact | March 3-14
- SCAD Experimental Film and Installation Class
- "St. Practice Day on River Street" Charity Bar Crawl
- 2014 Davenport House Oyster Roast